Saturday, May 11, 2013

Belated Birthdays

Back in April (yes, I’m behind on blogging again) we were able to celebrate David’s and Laura’s birthdays together.  Laura was in town and her birthday is just a couple of days before David’s, so it was perfect timing!

The House’s b-day celebrations spanned a couple of weeks.  Laura’s first gift came a few days before when we treated her and Karen to Matilda.  The musical was so much fun; those kids are amazing singers and dancers! 

Then a week or so after David’s birthday, he got a gift basket full of local Austin favorites like Rudy’s dry rub, barbeque sauce, and Rotel in the mail from his stateside coworkers. 

On top of the gifts, a new perk at Volusion is employees get their birthdays off!  So on the Friday morning of David’s actual big day, he slept in and I work up early to make him breakfast in bed.

Then hell broke loose at work.

Between last-minute meetings being scheduled and emails flying, I struggled to make the Boston Cream Pie pancakes I had found on Pinterest. 


I wasn’t even making the pancake batter from scratch, but that’s probably where I went wrong.  I read the directions on the back of the bag of mix for waffles instead of pancakes.  Waffles use more oil, which were turning the pancakes more into crepes.  So then I tore the kitchen apart trying to find our waffle maker to cook up some Boston Cream Pie waffles instead. 

No luck.

Finally, exasperated, hungry, and stressed out, I ran into the bedroom and yelled at David, “Get up and make your own damn pancakes!”

Poor guy… shouted at by his wife first thing in the morning on his birthday.  But I made it up to him by getting his gifts ready to open and making him lunch once all of my conference calls were done.  He was thrilled with the new neck-rest my parents got him for all of his upcoming travels, and even allowed me to put this pic on the blog:


Later that night we had tickets to see one of David’s favorite bands, the Ataris, at the Underworld in Camden.  The Ataris have been around forever, and was also one of my favorite bands in high school. 

They opened with “In this Diary,” my favorite song of theirs, which I also nominated as our official Class of 2003 senior song.

We knew it was going to be a good night when we saw this double rainbow at the tube stop!

The Underworld was a bit shady.  There were some scary pics on the walls leading down into the basement, where the stage and bar were. 

When I saw this guy’s photo, I started to question where we were...

The show was great, though!  We felt like kids again when they played all of their old songs, and the crowd started moshing.  There was even some crowd-surfing going on.  Moshing’s always scared me, though.  One time in college we went to Stubb’s to see Yellowcard and Something Corporate with my roommate and I got caught in the middle of a mosh pit.  I lost my shoe (I was an idiot for wearing flip flops anyway) during that first song and had to stand like a flamingo on the side for the rest of the night while Ankeeta and David danced around in the front row.

At the end of the show, David got to meet the lead singer, Kris Roe.  He told him it was his birthday and he first saw the Ataris 10 years ago in London.  When he said, “It was like going back in time,” I thought Kris might be offended, but he was cool about it.  He seemed like a really nice guy.


The next afternoon, Karen and Laura had planned a laid-back birthday lunch at the Greyfriar’s pub in Chawton, Jane Austen’s hometown.


The pub was right across the street from the Austen’s home, so after we ate we walked over to take a tour. 

David and I had some fun with the Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy cut-outs from Pride and Prejudice.

We all tried writing with a quill and fresh ink, which is a lot harder than it looks! 



It’s rare that we get to spend birthdays with our families anymore, so it was a nice weekend to celebrate David and Laura together.  Happy belated birthday! 

1 comment: