Monday, March 11, 2013

Bieber Fever

It’s true. David and I are Beliebers. Yes, even David. Justin's songs are so catchy! Seriously! Who hasn’t sang along to “As Long As You Love Me” or danced crazily to “Baby?” C’mon, admit it! And I know that over the past few months, Justin’s become more and more of a tool, sporting gas masks around town, wearing those horrible drop-waist pants, and taking so many pics with his shirt off that Olivia Wilde had to publicly chastise him on Twitter.

But when we got to his concert on Thursday night, it was clear that he could do no wrong in the eyes of his Beliebers. People were going crazy after the last opening act, Carly Rae Jepson. 
One girl near us burst into tears with anticipation. When they brought up the 10 minute count-down, every time a minute would go by, the crowd would go nuts screaming. 

We definitely felt our age when Cody Simpson came on 
and we were the only ones in the arena that weren't singing 
along to his songs (who is that guy?!).

We'd have to be living under a rock to not know Carly Rae Jepsen, though.

This guy dressed up as the Biebs was a hit!  A ton of girls wanted their pic with him, and he was happy to do it.

The press can be brutal, but I can understand how Justin has a big head. How do you stay grounded when you have millions of people practically worshipping you? You don’t go to school, you don’t ever have to make your bed or do laundry. And the pressure! To put on show after show after show, jet-setting around the world living out of a tour bus or hotel room, it’s got to be exhausting. He works harder than most other 19-year-olds I know to be a really great entertainer. 



And the concert was really entertaining! The O2 arena was transformed into a giant nightclub complete with strobe lights, a DJ, live band, and raised stage. It was pretty spectacular. And for anyone who thinks the guy doesn’t have any talent, please watch Never Say Never. The Biebs not only sings and dances, but he plays the guitar, piano, and the drums. 



Unfortunately, Justin was plagued with bad luck last week in London. First, he had the “worst” birthday ever, then he was 2 hours late to his first show, and on Thursday night, he got sick during the middle of the concert. Luckily Scooter and Jaden Smith were on-hand to let the crowd know what was going on. (By the way, I love that Jaden was there! I feel like we got a 2-for-1 deal. Bieber and Jaden, a pop star and a movie star. The best part was Jaden spent the whole concert about 10 feet away from us, dancing around the floor while his bodyguard kept a close eye out for any crazy girls trying to sneak over.)

The concert started off great, but I knew something was wrong when Justin was breathing pretty heavily after each song. At one point, he kind of fell up the stage’s stairs. And finally, in the middle of “Beauty and the Beat” he had to be helped off stage by one of his backup dancers.

Even though EMT’s were administering oxygen and telling him he needed to go to the hospital to get checked out, Justin sucked it up for the last few songs and came back to finish the concert with one of my favorites on his Believe album, “Boyfriend.” Yay! You could tell that he takes his job really seriously and didn’t want to disappoint his fans (especially after what happened earlier in the week).

I do have to give a shout-out to David, too. For my birthday last October, my wonderful husband surprised me with those two tickets to the Bieber concert, but only handed them over once I promised him that he got the second tic. ;) And not only did he come along to Bieber with me, but last year we also saw Taylor Swift together. 



And this, my friends, is how I know that David and I are not yet mature enough to have kids.

David waiting in line with Justin’s target audience. 

…On second thought, maybe we should have kids just so we have an excuse to go to these types of concerts!

3 comments:

  1. Re: Carly Rae Jepsen. I have a feeling Jeremy is that guy living under a rock.

    OMG, that photo of David waiting in line w/ the other teeny bopper girls is hilarious. And, you definitely need to jump on the baby wagon. You will be the "funnest" parents ever! My kids will want to hang out w/ your kids for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who??? Justin I know, but the others, man, I am SOOOO old. I am glad you guys liked that. Heck, your Mom turned me into a Donnie Osmond fan! Looks like you guys had fun, and that is what counts the most. By the way, good idea to post on Facebook, I get it sooner that way. Love and miss you gys, was thinking about you both today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I admit, I do like Justin's newer stuff. I just get sick of my students talking about him all the time. I'm glad you both had such a good time!

    ReplyDelete