Saturday, October 15, 2011

Babies!

When I was in Austin for work a couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to attend two very special occasions – the Sylestine’s baby shower and the Watson’s baby dedication.

A lot has changed since David and I moved to London a little over a year ago! When we moved, none of our friends were even pregnant! Now most of our friends have babies or are planning to have babies, and Molly and Jeremy are preparing for the arrival of their baby girl Quinn!

One night I met up with the girls for dinner at Molly and Jeremy’s new house, so I was able to see Quinn’s adorable nursery. I couldn’t believe how much baby gear had already taken over the Sylestine home! But Jeremy had to remind me, “She’s coming in seven weeks. We’ve got to be ready!” And less than a month from today, Quinn will be here!

When I got to Austin, one of the top priorities on my shopping list was a gift for the shower. Even though the Sylestines had registered, I was still really, really lost and confused in the store! I didn’t understand what half the stuff on the baby registry even was… I must’ve spent about thirty minutes in the blanket aisle alone! Between swaddling cloths, regular blankets, receiving blankets, security blankets and bedding blankets, my head was spinning! Who knew babies needed so much stuff?

After that adventure, I headed straight to Sonic for a cherry limeade and chilli cheese coney and called David to say goodnight. And though I can’t say he was jealous of my shopping trip, he was mighty envious of my lunch!

Then on Friday night, I reunited with all of my Austin girlfriends to help set up for the shower at the Gristy’s new place. We planned and cooked and decorated!


The diaper basket

In lieu of a card, guests were asked to bring a children’s book. Being the avid reader I am, the girls joked my future baby can expect a Kindle at their shower!

The shower turned out great! I finally got to meet Ali and Andrew’s baby boy, Caleb, and Sarah and Hoon’s daughter, Greta! In the past six months, the Floyds and the McHams have also had baby boys! Before David and I got married, we joined a church class for engaged couples and now I think everyone in that class has had their first child, except the Scott’s and the Vennes’. I’m hopeful they’ll hold off until we move back!

Precious baby Greta in her playful pink tutu

Because of the high percentage of baby boys in our circle of friends, David is convinced the ultrasounds are wrong and Quinn is going to be a boy too! Let’s hope he’s wrong…

David and I have always said that we want to be surprised by the sex of our baby, but after seeing all of the cute shower decorations, the beautiful nursery, and the pretty little girl clothes the Sylestines received as gifts, I may be changing my mind.

Our future children will definitely be dressed in either UT cheerleading uniforms or jerseys. Jeremy's a UT alum like us and since Molly attended Baylor, he mom sewed up both of these outfits!

All of the couples that hosted the shower

Allison used her crafty paper-cutting machine
to create these Quinn onesies

Jill learned how to make the hanging poms by watching YouTube videos


The morning after the shower, I went to church to check out the new Sunday school class led by Jordan and attend Declan Watson’s dedication. Although our church, Riverbend, believes more in a ‘baptism by choice’ when children are older, it was important for the Watsons to honor Jen’s Catholic heritage and baptize their child as a baby too. David and I also grew up with these different traditions. He was baptized when he was 7 but I was baptized in the Methodist church as an infant, so it was great to see this compromise and get an idea of what to do in the future for our own kids.

Dave Sunde, who performed our wedding ceremony, led the dedication and Declan was easy-going as always! 

The Watsons with happy baby Declan

Thank goodness for Facebook and blogs and Skype and all of the other technology available that allows David and me to watch these babies grow up and be a part of their lives, even though we can’t physically be in Texas. Next time we see y’all, there will be a new baby girl in the mix. And she’s going to be fighting off a lot of little boys! ;)

5 comments:

  1. YAY! I love your blog and I am so glad you were here for our special shower day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Mom and Grandma Cocchiarella are already proclaiming you will not be able to hold out much longer and will have a baby sooner than later now that so many of your friends are having babies. As your Father, I order you and David to do whatever your hearts tell you! As always, I love reading our blog and keep on writing, it is such a fantastic way to keep up with your life. Your Mom and I love you and can't wait until Christmas to see you and David.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful baby shower! I am glad you were able to spend the time with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We wanted the sex of our child to be surprise a too, but sometimes baby boys make it way too obvious. :)

    ReplyDelete